Today Allie is 14 months. Oh how time is flying! At the same time I am celebrating Allie's 14 months, I am also reflecting on the loss for a family in my old community in Minnesota.
A week ago a family in South Minneapolis suffered a devastating tragedy when their 2 year old son died. I feel like the combination of my baby getting older and more independent and praying for this family and their unimaginable loss, has brought me to a place where I cannot help but reflect on what a blessing and gift parenthood is. Today in my mom's group we discussed the importance of praying for our kids. The speaker made a comment that our kids are not our property, but God's. What a difficult concept grasp. I just want to cling to Allie and keep her close so that nothing bad could ever happen to her. The group this morning really helped me to realize that this is not the right answer. Yes, it is my job to protect Allie, help her to grow and be healthy, pray for her, and raise her to know the Lord. But, then I must let go and live in faith and not in fear. As I write this I still struggle with this concept, but I know God is placing it on my heart because it is true.
So, on Allie's 14 month birthday, and in remembrance of a 2 year old red headed little boy, I celebrate her beautiful life more than ever.
At 14 months Allie:
--Started walking! On Sunday she took about 4 steps. She is like her mama and very cautious, so she's taking her sweet time with this walking thing!
--She is talking even more. Here are words she says in context: dog, belba (Bella), mama, dada, nana, uh oh, WOW!, no, more, ball, book, nuk, Allie (she only said this once, but I'm still counting it!) :)
--Has started to be a little clingy with me. When I drop her off at my mom groups she now cries and tries to hang on to me for dear life. I'm told she becomes her happy self as soon as I leave, but it is hard to walk out the door while she's screaming bloody murder!
--Throws temper tantrums. I'm talking, throwing herself on the ground, arching her back, kicking her legs and screaming. Her Kindermusik teacher says she "attacks life". Meaning, she feels BIG emotions. When she's happy, she's on top of the world and if she's sad, she hits rock bottom. This emotional swing can happen by taking a toy away from her, not allowing her to stick her hand in the toilet water, not allowing her to pull Bella's hair, or simply by putting her down when she wants to be held. I think she is a bit of a diva. I wonder where she got that from? :)
I know I say this every month, but the last 14 months have been such a blessing. How could it get any better than this?
Love you little one!
Look mom I'm standing!

yay for walking!!! mrs. teddy told me about that tragedy. i love the words you used to describe our children being God's. that will stick with me. thank you so much for sharing!
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't get easier to let them go as they get older, either. You do have to trust that God has them in his protective arms and let them fly! Even if they are 32!!!
ReplyDelete